1. Welcome to LoneStarStangs, the #1 forum for Ford Mustang enthusiasts in Texas.
    If you haven't joined yet we invite you to sign up and join our community.
    Registration is free! Hope to see you on our forums!

2015 Ford Mustang: What to Expect - MotorTrend

Discussion in '2015 Ford Mustang' started by Jeff, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Jeff

Jeff Owner Administrator

2015-ford-mustang-front-three-quarter-illustration.jpg
    2015-ford-mustang-side-illustration.jpg

2. 2k4mk1

2k4mk1 4 more years of this freaking IDIOT!!!! SilverStar Member

They are going to RUIN it I am almost 100% certian....
    97_Cobra likes this.
  3. Lockdown2071

Lockdown2071 Member

EcoBoost V6 for sure for Europeon Markets.
  4. Jeff

Jeff Owner Administrator

What makes you so certain?
  5. 2k4mk1

Just think that if they try to Internationalize an American ICON they will F it up....
    What they need to do is bring those awesome Falcons the Aussies get over here and kill of the lame as Fusion...
    This One FORD deal is going to reek havoc on our "american cars" I bet.
  6. hotcobra03

hotcobra03 old dudes rule

7. 97_Cobra

97_Cobra Member

i agree 100%...its an AMERICAN muscle car....keep it that way.o_O
  8. 2k4mk1

Ford Mustang's new European look: A big mistake?
    The Detroit auto giant is preparing to overhaul an American icon, even though many middle-aged fans may not be ready for an update.
    By TheWeek.com 3 hours ago

Few things are more classically American than a Ford Mustang (F +0.25%), the Pony car that spawned dozens of imitators after it was launched in 1964.

Today's Mustang still bears a strong resemblance to the original, part of a years-long attempt by Ford to ride a retro trend that saw baby boomers buying Volkswagen (VLKAY +1.53%) Beetles and Chevrolet (GM +2.65%) Camaros. But all that is about to change, says Mike Ramsey at the Wall Street Journal. Ford is planning a sleeker, "European" look for its new Mustang, in a bid to attract younger consumers who have less affection for muscle cars of yore. The new Mustang will reportedly launch in 2014, and will likely look like a Ford Fusion or the Evos model that was unveiled by Ford in late 2011.

Will the Mustang's new look backfire?

Ford might destroy an iconic brand: "This is a scary moment for Ford, and it really needs to tread carefully," says Justin Cupler at TopSpeed. The last time Ford tried to remake the Mustang -- the zippy Mustang II in the 1970s -- it "nearly killed off the Mustang name altogether." The Mustang is a "muscle car," and Ford would be wise not to stray too far with its makeover.

But the Mustang's style is getting old: The automotive world's retro trend may have "finally run its course," says Paul A. Eisenstein at MSNBC. Ford is facing "increasingly stringent fuel economy standards" in the U.S., and intense competition outside North America, necessitating not only a new look, but a new paradigm. "There are even rumors of a Mustang hybrid." Ford does risk "a tidal wave of opposition from traditionalists," but a younger generation might "be more accepting" of a toned-down Mustang.

And Ford has to move beyond baby boomers: The average Mustang buyer is 51 years old, and is considered a "near-luxury" consumer in "terms of spending habits," says Mike Ramsey at the Wall Street Journal. While baby boomers are "still an important demographic," fueling sales in minivans and SUVs, "that generation is near the end of its run as hard-charging car consumers." Ford and others face the difficult challenge of tapping into Generation Y -- those born in the 80s and 90s -- many of whom are less excited about owning cars than their parents.
  9. Brain_Mach1

Brain_Mach1 Member

Whatever the plans, ford does need to shrink the car down. The 05+ cars are the largest mustangs ever built! This does not attract the younger market.

What has always kept the Mustang alive were sales to young women. Sales of the V6 allowed them to sell the V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Lockdown2071

Lockdown2071 Member

Why cater to Europe, seems like they like the Mustang the way it is!
  11. hotcobra03

hotcobra03 old dudes rule

12. Rob_Stylez

Rob_Stylez Member

This is the funniest thing I have hear... c’mon how is the Mustang's style getting 'old.' I’m not that young (30) but what young person is not attracted to these cars? They need to rephrase the sentence with 'the price of these cars is not attractive to younger people.' Realistically, what are the chances of a ‘young’ (18 - 28 year olds) person affording a car that ranges 36k - 52k? Yes, they might be worth almost every penny but seriously, 50k for a mustang…? It might be 5k less without the Shelby name, although that’s part of the ‘cool’ factor.

So unless Ford screws this up ROYALY, the mustang is not going anywhere and probably be stronger than ever!
  13. Black and blue

Black and blue New Member

I heard Ford is going to put the eco boost 4 cyclinder in the Mustang, Oh God no. Matter of fact get rid of the V6 also. If Ford wants a slower version of the Mustang just make a less HP V8. make the car shorter also. A coupe would be nice .
  14. JCP281

JCP281 MOAR LEETERS Staff

You do know that the eco-boost stuff puts out more power than the v6 and could easily rival the 5.0 right?
  15. racer99

racer99 V8 Pintos and Box Foxes Rule!!!

Quote,
    I heard Ford is going to put the eco boost 4 cyclinder in the Mustang, Oh God no. Matter of fact get rid of the V6 also. If Ford wants a slower version of the Mustang just make a less HP V8. make the car shorter also. A coupe would be nice .
    Black and blue, Jun 11, 2012

Hmm,thats the same shit we heard in 84 when the SVO was introduced.
    Lets see,the first 5 lug Fox,4 wheel discs,16 in wheels,tubular type
    control arms,factory Hurst shifter,out handle ANY other Mustang,
    yeah your right just build a V8 and screw technological advances.

The 3.7 has 80 more hp than the Mustang Gt in 88,gets better mileage
    stiffer chassis and will outhandle the current V8 cars at an autoX.

The 3.5 Ecoboost is 365/365,that in a Mustang would be a nice ride,
    I am willing to bet if it makes it into a Mustang it would be closer to 400
    or even higher.

and 500 hp aint far away with a little work.
  16. Black and blue

JCP,,, Your kidding, right. the Mustang V6 has 315 hp. My 5.0 started with 412, the new ones have 420. Let's see now, 420 vs 315. I might bet on the 420. Maybe what you call "rival" is getting beat by 10+ car lengths, then yea, the V6 will rival. Mine has a Ford racing tune and 3.73 gears. so the awful sounding V6 wouldn't have much of a chance.
  17. Black and blue

The talk is a Eco boost 4 cylinder, not a 3.5 eco boost v6. the v6 they have in the mustang is the 3.7 315 hp. 1984 ???? ah that was 30 years ago, they also made a 140 hp fox cobra. what does that have to do with anything? You can wish a 365 hp v6 in a mustang if you wish, if I was wishing I think maybe the 30 valve, 6.8L 415 cubic inch V-10 in the Mustang would be nice. And SVO was introduced in 1983 In the Thunderbird, with 17 inch wheel and a supercharged V6.
  18. racer99

The Eco4 in the Focus is 252 due to packaging
    considerations,it can probably get close to the 3.7
    numbers in a rwd configuration.

Dont count the 3.5 Eco out in a Mustang and one of
    the Ford reps that was here a few weeks ago spied a
    Coyote with 2 turbos at the engine plant.There is a reason
    all camera devices(including cell and smartphones arent allowed).

Skippy,the 84 model year was the first year for the SVO not 83.
    Model run was 84-86.

Check your facts before posting,please.

The 83 Tbird wasnt a SVO,it was a Turbo T-bird and was turbocharged not
    supercharged. The 83-86s had a T3 and the 87-88s had an IHI from the factory.

The supercharged T-bird you reference was a 3.8 with an Eaton and it
    didnt come out until the body redesign in 89.

I had one of the first 83 Turbo Tbirds sold in the Orlando region.

Care to go again?
  19. racer99

Funny,the V10 guys say your V8 sounds awful also.

Looks like a case of cylinder number superiority.
  20. Stang_1973

Stang_1973 Se Miro Locoooon!

IMHO i could care less what motot they put in the mustang, the mustang has seen 4 cylinder, 6 and of course 8. Thats the beauty of the mustang. its what made the mustang a success from the very beggining. the fact that they made a mustang for every person out there. its a sporty car witht the options that fit your needs. if you wanted the school teacher wanted a grocery getter, you could get one, if the weekend raer wanted a V8 and customize it you could get it. Thats how Ford cultivated the icon of the mustang. somehow or another you know someone who has a mustang.

I dont think they will ever do away with the iconic V8. but whether they bring back the tubro4 i could care less, it would be hard fro a turbo4 to get close to the performance you can get out of a V8 wihtout massive investment and modification. but the fact theat you could prolly get a sorta quick, gas saving mustang would again push the envelope. Ford could now brag that they cover the entire spectrum of car buyers, there would literally be a mustang available for everyone. and that was and always has been the purpose of the mustang, not just performance, not just powe, not just 1/4 mile times.
    Rusty1968 likes this.