1. Welcome to LoneStarStangs, the #1 forum for Ford Mustang enthusiasts in Texas.
    If you haven't joined yet we invite you to sign up and join our community.
    Registration is free! Hope to see you on our forums!

checking axle housing straightness

Discussion in '1979-1995 5.0 Mustang' started by thatdavidkid, Sep 13, 2009.

1. thatdavidkid

thatdavidkid just a little coupe

ok, so i'm going to tackle my own torque box repair since it is not bad at all (just tweaked a little, and i have access to an alignment rack so i can check it as i go) but before i try to fix it, i ned to make sure that the rear end isn't bent... (i think it is but i can't really tell)
    so my question is, short of putting it on an alignment rack and checking camber and toe on the rear end, is there another way to check it? the alignment rack is at work, but i dont know how long it will be before i can get in there.
    also, if i figure out that it's bent, does anyone know where i can get the drop brackets for my southside lowers?
  2. 2k4mk1

2k4mk1 4 more years of this freaking IDIOT!!!! SilverStar Member

You can put a straight edge on the tubes to see if they are bent.
  3. Sonic Blue 85

Sonic Blue 85 Well-Known Member

The chassis builders have a long solid bar that they clamp in the carrier bearing caps using some adapters, it goes all the way through the housing form end to end, then have other adapters they slide on each end of the bar these go into each flange. I built a tool using a lazer that also clamps into and is perfectly centered in the carrier bearing caps. You should use the centerline of the bearing cap bores to determine if the housing is bent. If it is bent, it can be straightend. A fox body on a four wheel alignment rack, will most likely show you that there are bad bushings in your rear suspension, the axle will possibly not be square with the car.
    So what are the symtoms that make you think the housing is bent and how bad do you think it is bent? There is another way that will sometimes tell you if the housing is bent and that is to pull the axles out and reinstall them. They should slide out easily and go back in easily. If they bind up as they go in to the splines in the differential, the housing is most likely bent, but it usualy has to be bent a good bit to notice this. I have had some that I had to hammmer the axles in or use a pry bar to get them out.
  4. thatdavidkid

thatdavidkid just a little coupe

as cheap as these rear ends are, i wouldn't imagine it being cost effective to straighten it. the reason i "think" it is bent, is because i dont know the history behind it, i dont necessarily think it's bent, but i want to make sure before i go to straighten the control arm mount. the planned order of action was make sure the housing is straight, if it is, replace the upper bushings (they're the only ones that aren't new) and then, see how far it is off.
  5. Sonic Blue 85

Sonic Blue 85 Well-Known Member

If you deside it is bent or if you want it checked, let me know. It is not hard to check once the axles, diff and axle bearings are out or ask Travis who does his rear axles and take it to that person, they can check and straighten it. I do have a housing that I have welded the tubes and have gotten that housing perfectly straight to cut down on drag.